Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Honeymoon Day 2


Tuesday morning we woke up bright and early again. We were having a little trouble adjusting to the time change, so most mornings we were up and at 'em by 5:00 or so. We would take little walks on the beach or around the resort until breakfast was available at 6:30. Even though Tuesday we had decided to get an early start since we were going to be driving the Road to Hana, the resort's breakfast was TOTALLY worth the wait.


This display is only Round 1 of Kyler's breakfast.


And we usually had quite the audience of little birds while we ate. The servers didn't even seem to notice them, but as soon as you would so much as look away from your food, they would attack. So, Kyler and I would go get our food in shifts so that the birds wouldn't carry anything off.


Then off to Hana we went. We had a summary of all the stops with little descriptions and ratings. We decided to hit up all the stops despite the ratings. Our first stop went down this winding road, only a two-out-of-three star ratings.


Only two out of three stars!? Psssh! We gave this one a ten. This is Twin Falls. We had to hike a little ways back down the road shown above. Then we had to walk through this little creek, past a wading pool, and THEN there were the Twin Falls. It was probably our favorite spot on all of Maui.


Our first stop was so amazing, we couldn't wait to get to our next stop. Unfortunately, it was just a maze of exotic plants. It was very jungley, but we kept thinking that we must've missed whatever it was we were supposed to see. Oh well, on to our next stop


Banana tree anyone?



On our next stop, Kyler found these little vines to swing from. And he also found this strange little sign. Apparently I was being too loud. Imagine...


More exotic plants. This tree is called a Rainbow Euchalyptus (I think). The brown bark would peel, revealing the new green bark. When the green dried out, it would start turning brown and would eventually fall off, starting the whole new process again.


The next stop led us to a pretty hairy stretch of land. We had to cross a 3-foot stretch that was about a foot wide. There was a wall of small trees to the left and a (probably thousand foot) cliff to our right. To say that I was a little nervous was an understatement, but we had this beauty waiting for us on the other side.


A few miles before, a guy tried to get us to pay $15 each to see this waterfall and the view from the opening scene of Jurassic Park. Kyler said that if he wanted to see the opening scene from Jurassic Park, he'd watch the beginning of Jurassic Park, but he was NOT paying $15 to see it. Okay then!


I snapped this photo at one of our stops. I don't think you can really tell from the photo, but the road follows the  coastline to a "T". Luckily on the Road to Hana, we had plenty of stops to distract my carsick-prone self. It was on the Road from Hana that I started feeling woozy.


Then we caught lunch in the car. That morning Kyler insisted he get a Lunchable because when he was in school, he was only able to have Lunchables on field trip days, and this was indeed a field trip.



Here is what we believe are taro fields. We don't know what taros are, and we're not positive these are their fields, but that's our story and we're sticking to it.

And this I am positive is my husband in front of the questionable taro fields.

Roadside waterfall. Kyler and I laughed quite a bit at our attire. No one could ever tell where we were from. I was sporting a shirt from Salem, Massachussetts, while Kyler had on a rugby shirt from New Zealand.


I have no idea what these waterfalls were called, but if it were up to me, I'd call them the Triplet Waterfalls. Clever, eh?



A picture of me for good measure?


And...another waterfall! This one was cool too. We had another little hike to get back there. Once there though, I was satisfied with just taking pictures. Kyler, on the other hand, wanted to climb up to the top. Go ahead honey!


Don't worry, Kyler did not jump off of there. As we were walking away, though, we heard some pretty loud splashes.


A beautiful little peninsula that was about a gazillion-mile-downhill drive that Kyler almost gave up on. Persistence pays off!

Then we walked over to a little bitty cliff and let our feet hang over. I looked down and realized that there were some crabs jumping from rock to rock, and Kyler insisted he go down there to catch some.


No such luck.



More scenic views. This is at the Black Sand Beach, which I am considering renaming the Black Rock Beach.




This was as fine as the sand actually got. Later this week, I'll show you the real Black Sand Beach.


Then we followed the signs to a cave.


On our way back to the airport on Wednesday, our bus driver told us that his family was from this beach. He said his grandfather owned this land, and his ancestors and family were buried in the cemetary we walked past. When his grandfather died, he left his final wishes to his son. He wanted his son to make the land into a park, which now it's a national park. And he wanted his son to have many kids so that they could enjoy the park. Our bus driver was 9 of 12. I'd say his father made his grandfather proud.


Horrible pictures of the cave. We're standing on the rock on the bottom, looking down into the water. The water is so clear, though, that it just looks like more rock. Then the rock at the top is the cliff overhang.

After that park, we had just one more site on the map. Wouldn't you know, another waterfall!


Like I said before, we loved  the Road to Hana. It was a great way to spend the day. The only unfortunate part was the drive back from Hana to our resort. I tried to sleep the whole way so I wouldn't barf on my driver. Romantic, I know.

After Tuesday, we had covered all of Maui that had roads besides a tiny strip on the northernmost tip of the island. There was also a streth on the southernmost tip, but our map indicated that there was "no real path" that connected the two main roads.

That night, we returned to our part of the island around 9ish. I was exhausted and practically slept-ate my way through supper in Lahaina. I can't really remember what I even ate, and I don't really remember the trip from the restaurant to the resort either. What can I say, I'm the best date ever.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! You've got some postcard-worthy photographs there. I LOVED the Road to Hana both times I've been on it...just beautiful! Glad you got to enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I sit in my cubicle I dream of Hawaii...

    Great photos! It's such an amazingly beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete